Posted by: mlapgrants | December 14, 2017

Working at Stannard Rock

 

DSCN3273

The isolated Stannard Rock Lighthouse in Lake Superior was often difficult to access due to weather and lake conditions.  At the end of the season, the personnel were anxious to depart and return to the main land for the winter break.  This 1954 photograph shows the last man to leave the light descending the ice covered ladder to board the boat back to shore.

2017-12-14_10-42-29

In 2017, a project team working on a National Maritime Heritage Program grant and a Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program grant to do an HSR at Stannard Rock conducted a day long site visit.  Robb Burroughs from OX Studio and part of the project team is seen in this photograph ascending the ladder to spend the day documenting the historic light.

DSCN3282

Advertisements
Posted by: mlapgrants | November 16, 2017

Manitou Island Light Station

The first stone tower and detached keeper’s dwelling on Manitou Island in Lake Superior were built in 1849 at a cost of $7,218. Due to their rapid deterioration, the stone structures were replaced with the current skeletal tower and wood framed keeper’s dwelling in 1861. Between 1865 and 1877, two wood fog signal buildings and a wood boathouse were constructed.  The boathouse and fog signal buildings shown in this 1895 photograph no longer exist, but the tower, keeper’s dwelling, and a 1938 fog signal building still stand and are the subjects of a Historic Structure Report (HSR) currently being completed through Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program (MLAP) and National Maritime Heritage Program grants.  The consultants for the project are O|X Studio and Smay Trombley Architecture.

Manitou

Posted by: mlapgrants | October 16, 2017

Thunder Bay Island Light Station

Congress appropriated $5,000 for the first lighthouse at Thunder Bay Island in March of 1831.  Due to poor construction, the tower collapsed by February of 1832!  Construction of a new stone tower and stone dwelling were complete by October of that year, and Israel Noble was appointed as the keeper with an annual salary of $350.  In 1857, the stone tower was encased in brick, its height was increased by ten feet, and a new lantern was installed.  In 1868 a new attached brick keeper’s dwelling was added to the tower.  This 1904 photograph shows the first stone dwelling on the left, and the 1868 dwelling adjacent to the tower.

Thanks to OX Studio and Smay Trombley Architecture for this information from the first draft of the HSR being funded by grants from the National Maritime Heritage Program and the Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program.

TBIS 1904

The pre-bid site visit for the Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program (MLAP) grant rehabilitation project at the Grand Haven Lights was held on Wednesday, August 30.

The Entrance Light will be rehabilitated by stabilizing the concrete structure, installing ten operable double hung windows, repairing and replacing the porthole windows, and applying weather-stripping to the lantern door.  The Inner Light will be rehabilitated by removing paint from brass portions of the porthole windows and applying weatherstripping to the lantern door.  The Grand Haven South Pier Entrance and Inner Lights are significant historic resources that were built in 1905 and are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Catwalk:  The catwalk was removed and is in storage while the pier is being resurfaced. DSCN4147DSCN4188DSCN4152DSCN4157

Posted by: mlapgrants | August 29, 2017

Pure Michigan

Vernors Ginger Ale + Lighthouses = Pure Michigan!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/08/vernors_featuring_michigan_lig.html

23301624-mmmain

Posted by: mlapgrants | August 15, 2017

Stannard Rock Lighthouse

The project team for the Standard Rock Lighthouse Historic Structure Report (HSR) and Education project traveled 37 miles by boat across Lake Superior on a perfect summer day to document this historic lighthouse.  The lighthouse, completed in 1882, is one of four offshore lights being evaluated through a project funded by a National Maritime Heritage Grant and a Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program (MLAP) grant.  Purchase or renew your lighthouse license plate to help support these projects!

DSCN3418 (002)

DSCN3275 (002)

Posted by: mlapgrants | July 26, 2017

MLAP Grants

Dear Lighthouse Enthusiast:

The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is pleased to announce the availability of fiscal year 2018 Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program (MLAP) grant applications. Funds are available for both planning and rehabilitation activities. The grant application deadline is Friday, November 17, 2017. Applications must be postmarked no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 17, 2017. Copies of the grant manual and application materials can be found on our web page at www.michigan.gov/saveourlights. If you haven’t already done so, we encourage you to discuss your proposed project with SHPO staff.

Thank you,

Joelle Letts

Grants Manager/Budget Analyst

State Historic Preservation Office, Michigan State Housing Development Authority

735 E. Michigan Ave.,

P O Box 30044

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 517-373-1904

Posted by: mlapgrants | July 18, 2017

Mission Point Light Station

The post-work site visit for the MLAP grant for the Mission Point Light Station occurred on the afternoon of July 13, 2017.  Members from Peninsula Township and the Mission Point Lighthouse Friends were on site for the close-out visit.

The most significant change at the site as a result of the grant was the relocation of the storage building to its historic location just east of the lighthouse.  This move helped to visually open the site and bring it closer to its configuration during the period of significance/interpretation.  The new block foundation for the storage building continues to the foundation of the lighthouse in an effort to protect the subsurface cistern, which was discovered as part of this project.  The township is currently working on a project to replace the board and batten siding so that it covers all of the exposed wood at the structure as it appeared in historic photographs.

Other grant work included the repointing of the brick piers at the lean-to addition on the south side of the structure and adding vertical wood skirting between the brick piers, a new sidewalk to the oil house, and removing built-up sand from the exterior foundation wall at the northwest corner.

The Township and the Friends have done a great job with their rehabilitation projects and keeping this historic site open and available to the public.DSCN3112DSCN3155DSCN3129DSCN3138DSCN3117DSCN3142DSCN3114

Posted by: mlapgrants | June 8, 2017

Thunder Bay Island Light Station

The Thunder Bay Island Light Station site visit to kick off the Historic Structure Report (HSR) and Education Project through a National Maritime Heritage Grand from the National Park Service and the Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program (MLAP) grant from the SHPO was conducted on Monday, June 5, 2017.

Team members collecting information for the HSR included OX Studio, Smay Trombley Architecture, Mihm Enterprises, Wiss Janney Elstner Associates, and the Thunder Bay Island Lighthouse Preservation Society.

DSCN3018DSCN3004DSCN3108DSCN3094

Posted by: mlapgrants | April 18, 2017

New Lighthouse Postcards

The new 2017 lighthouse postcards are here!  The postcards feature the South Haven South Pierhead Light and are available at MDOT welcome centers.

South Haven

Older Posts »

Categories